Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Wednesday's Word

Today's word was found on a funny words site. It's something I know we've all done. So I decided I'd share it because I thought it was pretty funny. The word is: accidentalpurposity.

Actual meaning: when you don't want people to think that you mean to do something but secetly it was meant to happen

Meaning to me: when you don't want to look mean, but you really don't like something or want to do something, so you purposely do something that makes it impossible for you to do something

Okay, so here's the deal. I love this word. It gets to the epitomy of human nature. I mean seriously, we are all selfish, and if we don't want to do something, it's human nature to try to get out of it.
I'll give you an example. When my brother and I were little, we'd get home from school like 30 minutes before mom got home from work. I was like 11 or so at the time. Mom would leave the back door unlocked for us (It's okay, we lived in the middle of nowhere), and we were to immediately go into the house and lock the door and wait for her. We WERE NOT to play outside until she got home.
Well, it was a nice spring day, and my brother and I didn't want to be trapped in the house. We wanted to play, so we locked the door and made it look like mom had accidentally forgotten to leave it open, when in all reality, we had purposely locked ourselves out of the house.
What we didn't know was that mom had gone back that morning and made certain that she'd unlocked the door because she thought she'd forgotten. We pretty much got busted, and we were trapped in the house for the rest of the night. So if you're thinking about doing something with "accidentalpurposity" remember most of the time it blows up in your face because someone usually figures out your sneakiness!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

good post i like the word!

Scrambled Dregs said...

Ha.

The other use of it is when I do something really clumsy and say,
" I meant to do that....."