Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Wednesday's Word

Today's word is one that is funny to me, and I'll explain why. The word is "Admire"

Actual meaning: To regard with pleasure, wonder, and approval

Meaning to me: The last name of a lady I work with that the receptionist can never pronounce correctly

Now I know what you are thinking. Admire is a normal, everyday English word. Nothing difficult about saying it, but for some reason, when our receptionist pages the lady in my department, she never says it right.
In fact its nowhere near right. She pronounces it ARD-MAR. Which sounds very close to ardvaark. So everytime this lady gets paged, we all get a good laugh. Actually there are lots of people whose names that our receptionist gets wrong, so I pretty much stay in stitches all day long. Our poor receptionist...

No comments: